Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2019 10:01:47 AM EDT
I had this mag loaded with 25rds of Red Army Standard sitting in my truck for a few months. The window has a haze on it now and it doesn't seem to want to come off when I rub it hard with my finger or rag.

2019-03-13_08-37-54 by , on Flickr" />
2019-03-13_08-37-36 by , on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
use one of those headlight restoring kits , use rubbing compound, etc.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of mine look like that...
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:23:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of mine look like that...
View Quote
What kind of ammo do you use? I have kept Wolf poly coat and brass in some long term with no effects like this, but never in my truck for more than a cople of days. It definately isn't scratches.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve never seen that before, but I don’t keep loaded ones stored like that. I’m sure Magpul will be happy to swap them out for you so they can study the effect. They’re always interested in examining failures, etc. so they can improve their polymer formula.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 2:39:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Most clear plastics strong enough to be used as mag windows are not resistant to UV light. It is the reason it took auto manufactures so long to get it approved for use in car headlights. Even with all of their research, plastic headlight lenses still suck!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember a similar issue many years ago with windowed pmags.. maybe the early gen.. but can’t remember the story behind it..

Btw, I have a few windowed emags that survived a tour in astan and the windows are fine.. I even put them in the dishwasher..
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
All my pmags look like yours, no truck storage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought they all just came like that?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I called Magpul and the guy I talked to suggested using acetone to clean. I gave it a whirl and it just made it worse.  It will have to be GI mags and non window pmags for lacquered ammo in the future I guess.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:49:35 AM EDT
[#12]
It is just age and clear plastic. It has nothing to do with the type of ammo used.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It is just age and clear plastic. It has nothing to do with the type of ammo used.
View Quote
I have some of the same batch of mags loaded with brass sitting in the closet for years that still look perfect. This morning I pulled out a gen 3 window purchased last year that was loaded with lacquered ammo and it is starting to develop an ever so slight film. This mag has been loaded sitting in the basement since at least Christmas.
I have left regular steel Wolf poly coat loaded for months at the time in the basement with no ill effects. It just seems to be the lacquer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#14]
if you can get ahold of a GI bottle of insect repellent with deet in it , put some on a cotton cloth and wipe it on ,it may help you , i use the same stuff on my cars plastic headlight covers , clears them up for a couple months then repeat if necessary , the person who invented plastic headlights needs to be hung
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The windows are now textured to cut down on reflectivity. They should all look like they have a "haze" on them. It may become slightly more noticeable with a little bit of fouling inside the mag or in certain lighting conditions. It won't come off, it's molded in. If someone from our CS told you to use acetone, I need to talk to them. Can't take out texture with acetone.
View Quote
No worries. I was tempted to try acetone, but was afraid it might eat into the mag. After he suggested it I gave it a try.  I'm not sure what his name was.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy Meguiars PlastX. Small dab on a micro fiber cloth and rub briskly.  It will be gone in seconds.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top